Excellence for All!
King George County Public School Mentoring Program
All Virginia school districts are expected to develop an induction program that must include a mentoring component for teachers in their first year of practice.
The King George County Teacher Mentor supports new teachers and serves as a liaison between teachers, building administrators, and the central office.
●Is involved in New Teacher Orientation as needed
●Orients new teachers to procedures and policies of the Division and the school
●Assists new teachers with planning and organization as needed
●Provides support as needed; assists and offers suggestions related to curriculum, instruction, assessment, and/or behavior management (mentor log & mentor observations)
●Checks in regularly with new teachers to discuss issues of concern and to provide support (mentor log)
●Communicates concerns of new teachers to the building administration and/or instructional coach
●Assists new teachers with planning and implementing professional growth plan for the year
●Assists new teachers with finding appropriate resource people and materials as needed.
●Helps the new educator feel welcome, comfortable, safe, and prepared no matter what
Benefits of Having a Mentor
● Having a designated person to ask questions
● Trusting that anything discussed will be confidential
● Having someone with whom to share ideas
● Having someone to discuss doubts and frustrations
● Having an experienced advocate to turn to when needed
● Having someone to help with lesson plans
● having someone to give encouraging feedback
● Having someone willing to share teaching strategies
● Knowing there is someone who knows that there is no such thing as “a stupid question”
● Having a friendly face in a new, environment