Professional staff employees are required to complete ten hours of professional development each school year. It is the responsibility of the employee to maintain a record of professional development activities.
KGCS Professional Development
- Teachers should keep the original copy of proof in their portfolio.
- Proof includes items such as a certificate, a participants list, or an attendance list.
- One point will be awarded for each hour of training. (Points must be earned in 5+ hour increments if they are used for recertification.)
- Points may be earned between July 1 and June 30 of the current school year.
- Principals may incorporate professional development comments into a teacher’s annual evaluation.
- Teachers should include professional development in their annual SMART goals written at the beginning of each school year.
- The minimum requirement does not limit the authority of the principal to require additional training to meet individual school needs.
Common Examples of Professional Development
- Summer professional development training
- Professional development completed during a professional development conference
- Division technology classes
- Certain staff development in-services approved by the principal
If you have questions about professional development or recertification, contact Elizabeth Yezierski in Human Resources at
email@example.com or at 775-8616.