KG Home Instruction Families:
Most letters have been mailed and the final batch will be sent Friday, October 21. If you have not received a letter or if you have questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-775-5833 x 8614. Thank you and best wishes for a successful year of learning!
Mary Fisher, Supervisor of Student and Family Services
In accordance with Va. Code § 22.1-254.1 and King George County Schools Policy LBD, below you will find information for completion of the home instruction process.
Home Instruction Process
Step 1: Submit
a Notice of Intent to Provide Home Instruction (NOI) via US Mail, Fax, Email,
or by dropping it off in person to the King George County School
Board Office. This must be submitted by August 15 of each school
Step 2: Choose
the home school option that you are pursuing. Please also provide the
appropriate documentation according to the option that you have selected
e.g., diploma, teaching license, etc.
Step 3: Submit the
curriculum that the student will be taking. This could include a list of
courses being instructed by the parent, an enrollment letter from a
correspondence or virtual school, acceptance letter/course schedule from a
private school, or other information listing the subjects or describing
the course of studies the child(ren) will be learning.
Step 4: Submit progress
information at the end of the school year. Certification of progress must be
received by August 1 of each school year.
Home Instruction Forms
End Of Year Testing Resources For Home School Families:
Listed below are some resources for annual progress purposes. This
list is provided as a resource only. You may know of or prefer
to use another company. This is only one option of many for certifying your child's progress for home instruction. You may reference Va Code § 22.1-254.1 for further information.
We would like for students and parents to be
aware of the services and opportunities available to the Home Instruction
community via King George County Schools and/or the Virginia Department of
- College and Career Planning - The Virginia Department of Education has produced a website
www.vawizard.org for career and college planning with tools for elementary,
middle, and high school students.
- Special Education - Evaluation and related services may be available for students
who are identified as needing additional support in their educational process.
Please contact Ann Bueche at 540-775-5833 ext. 8621 for additional information.
- Part-Time Enrollment - Part-time enrollment is available for home instruction students at all grade levels on a space-available basis. Please contact Mary Fisher at 540-775-5833 x 8614 or email@example.com for information.
- Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test - The PSAT will be given
at KGHS on October 15, 2016. You may visit www.collegeboard.com for further information on the PSAT or call the King George High School Counseling Office at 540-775-3535 to register.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test - KGHS is also an occasional SAT testing site. You may visit www.collegeboard.com for further information on the SAT.
- Advanced Placement Exams - KGHS is also an occasional AP testing site.
- Registration and Financial Assistance - Please contact the King George High School Counseling Office at 540-775-3535 to register for Advanced Placement tests or the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Tests (PSAT), as well as for information regarding the availability of financial assistance to low income families to take these exams.