School Nursing is a specialty branch of professional nursing that seeks to
prevent or identify student health or health related problems and intervenes to
modify or correct these problems.
- King George County Public Schools provides
experienced and qualified Registered Nurses in every school.
The school nurse assesses the health needs of students and staff and
provides appropriate timely referrals.
- School nurses provide state mandated assessments for
scoliosis, vision, and hearing. Screenings for dental, blood pressure,
growth and development, health problems and behaviors are provided on a
- The school nurse provides emergency first aid and
works with the school community to identify safety hazards and recommends
- The school nurse is involved in communicable disease
control through the implementation of immunization laws and screenings.
- Health counseling for chronic illness, nutrition,
disease prevention and healthy lifestyles are part of the school nurse's
- The school nurse is a resource for health related
issues and health education.
- School nurses provide health services including
clinic management and individual case management.
Community: The school nurse collaborates with
appropriate caregivers, local, state and national social service professionals
to provide a seamless system of health care services.
Information on Lyme Disease
Information on Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Information from the CDC on H1N1
Information from Virginia Department of Education on H1N1
Health Insurance: Children in need of health insurance
FAMIS at 1-866-873-2647.
The following items have been approved for first aid treatment:
isotonic eye wash